Discussion Forum: Garden Planning Activity

Garden Planning Activity & Personal Planting Plan

Picture of Gloria Goverman
Garden Planning Activity & Personal Planting Plan
by Gloria Goverman - Monday, September 26, 2022, 10:47 PM

When we moved into this house over 30 years ago, we inherited a pear tree which produced 1 pear (which is how I figured out what it was), viburnum, spirea, a rock garden, the back 40 garden, some lilac bushes, forsythia, bridal veil spirea, and a hydrangea.  We pulled up the landscaping plants around the house.  And we had several small rhododendrons.

After a lot of years and some building projects, all of those gardens are pretty much gone.  We have one rhoadie which is about up to the bottom of the roof.  We added a few gardens and everything went to the dogs (sometimes literally ) this summer.  I wasn't able to get outside to do any work because of the heat and the work being done on my house.

My point being that this project - planning a garden - is exactly what I need right now.  After we started this course, if occurred to me that I need to look at everything with new eyes, new found information, and a solid plan.  Almost everything will come out and I'm hoping to start over, once I get the weeds up.  At the end of last season, I did finally measure all of the areas that need TLC and mulch and figured out the volume of mulch that I need.  Now that I watch Tom Spellman's videos today - boy was he great! - I have a slightly better idea of what kind of mulch to get.

Picture of Frances Traver
Re: Garden Planning Activity & Personal Planting Plan
by Frances Traver - Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 3:56 PM

I too have been working on landscaping around my house throughout the years. Yes the house came with lilacs and other plants which I try to keep growing all the time. I continue to add a flower here and there each year. So the project of  designing some new ideals should be exciting. This year I added lavender next to the setting area . 

Some ideals have been successful. Some have not. But it's fun to keep trying new designs each year.

Have fun with you project

Fran Traver 

Chicago Botanical Garden 2018
Re: Garden Planning Activity & Personal Planting Plan
by Maria D Peraza - Friday, October 21, 2022, 7:08 AM

I get what you're saying Gloria about taking a look at your garden with new eyes. When we purchase this house it came with established plants in the in the front of the house. I tried adding other plants and or removing some but the previous owners put landscape fabric everywhere in the front that makes gardening in that area very challenging. So I've made the backyard my own and I'm constantly changing things. But by taking the time to make a plan and a design it would help from having to move plants around every year. Good luck with garden!