Discussion Forum: Garden Planning Activity

Garden Planting Design

Picture of Frances Traver
Garden Planting Design
by Frances Traver - Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 4:18 PM

As I am interested in vegetable gardening, My design included plans for my next year garden.

I have had.a vegetable garden each summer for all my life. As a child I helped my father and we kept a small garden each year when I got married. 

. My design this year will include some succession from cool to warm vegetables and continue with yearly rotation . I have never planted cool vegetables  in late summer for the fall and have included this in the design. I have never included perennials such a asparagus and am thinking about it for next year. 

As part of the design I did evaluate the  location of the vegetable garden and it does seem to have enough sunlight and is close to the water source .

However, I have had some challenges with growing fruits, such as raspberries and black berries. I may design a plan for re-attempting this in the next few years. We had planted some next to some wild berries and perhaps our new ones got a disease from them. If the production does not increase next season,  I will redesign the plan to include a spot further from with wild berries.I

So yes this course has given me so many new ideals to try. 

Fran Traver