Welcome and Introductory Discussion Forum

My Introduction

Picture of Kathleen Scanlon
My Introduction
by Kathleen Scanlon - Friday, July 17, 2020, 11:52 PM

Hello from Erie County. I'm Kathi Scanlon, MG Apprentice Advisor. We have 84 Master Gardener Volunteers who are active in our community. There are many ongoing projects which have been somewhat curbed by Covid. Like many of you we have a Hotline which continues to be used Monday -Friday. In addition Garden Fence Chats were begun on Zoom in March covering many Gardening topics and presented by MGV with special knowledge of particular topics. We continued our monthly meetings with Speakers on Zoom. We also are presenting classes for University Express as well as many of the area garden clubs. 

We are active in Feed More Gardens where we are doing Vegetable Variety trials as well community gardening. MGV are maintaining herb and vegetable gardens in a historic museum setting as well maintaining city and suburban projects. Participation in Plantasia, Erie County Fair, The Botanical Garden's Garden Art Sale have been projects we looked forward to.

Fortunately, Open Gardens continues this year all over Erie County, Thursdays and Fridays in July. Many MGV are among the many exceptional gardens open for visitors.  

Picture of Donna Alese Cooke
Re: My Introduction
by Donna Alese Cooke - Monday, July 20, 2020, 9:36 AM

Welcome Kathleen! 

I love the "Garden Fence Chats" you are doing. Are they recorded and added to your website or blog for others to watch later? 

Picture of Ashley Miller Helmholdt
Re: My Introduction
by Ashley Miller Helmholdt - Monday, July 20, 2020, 3:55 PM

Hi Kathleen,

It sounds like you have a great group of volunteers and projects!  I might feature you all in our newsletter talking about gleaning and community garden projects, if that's all right.  I've been trying to share your "Garden Fence" chats in our newsletter about activities going online around the state.

All the best,

Ashley