Welcome and Introductory Discussion Forum

Hi from Cayuga County

Picture of Daniel Welch
Hi from Cayuga County
by Daniel Welch - Friday, July 17, 2020, 9:42 AM

We currently have 5 master gardener volunteers. The only project they have been actively engaged is keeping our diagnostic hotline/office hours three day a week. One of my priorities is to re-energize the master gardener program and get the existing and new volunteers involved in gardening projects and presentations. 

I am the director in Cayuga County, with some of my time devoted to agriculture and natural resources programming. I started this position in October, but have had different positions in CCE and on campus in extension for over 10 years, mainly in farm management and agronomy. My first jobs in agriculture were on greenhouse/nursery operations, but I really need a refresher on ornamentals.

We got another good dose of rain in Central New York over the last 24 hours, so I'll share some pictures of my home vegetable garden next time the sun is shining.

Picture of Donna Alese Cooke
Re: Hi from Cayuga County
by Donna Alese Cooke - Monday, July 20, 2020, 9:54 AM

Welcome Daniel!

You certainly wear many hats! Having such a small group to begin with will be a plus, because you can grow and shape the new program to meet your vision and needs. Do the 5 volunteers you have thoughts and ideas on the future of your MGV program? They would be a great focus group!

Picture of Ashley Miller Helmholdt
Re: Hi from Cayuga County
by Ashley Miller Helmholdt - Monday, July 20, 2020, 4:14 PM

Hi Dan!

Thanks for your commitment to come to this course, in addition to all the other work you do.  We are really excited to have you and Garet here, to give you some sense of the statewide curriculum resources we have and for you all to give us the Executive Director perspective.  Definitely let us know what you think of the types of projects we are promoting statewide, and let's brainstorm with other sites in your situation (Cattaraugus, Chautauqua and Herkimer are in a similar boat) about how we can get a few MGV in your offices to review this material as well, and perhaps engage with a training in nearby county offices.  I think getting a few people engaged in the new material will help you take those next steps.

Best,

Ashley