Welcome and Introductory Discussion Forum

Getting started in Cattaraugus County

Picture of Jesse Meeder
Getting started in Cattaraugus County
by Jesse Meeder - Thursday, July 16, 2020, 8:21 PM

Hi all --

I'm Jesse Meeder, and I am relatively new to the Master Gardener program, having been at CCE Cattaraugus as the Farm to School Educator.  My office is interested in restarting MG in our county after the program has been shut down for several years.  We currently have 3 (including me) new MG apprentices who are hoping to spend the year learning more about different county's programs, and exploring what works best for us locally.  We are exploring a couple of local gardening projects that have requested assistance as a jumping off point for our program.

On a personal level, I've been a commercial vegetable farmer in the WNY region since 2007 in various settings, including urban farming and rural farming.  I have also spent a good deal of time as an educator for farm and garden projects for youth and adults.  Growing vegetables for market is my favorite thing in the world!  Recently been dabbling with cut flower production as well, and I am looking forward to learning from you all and the other gardeners I have met in the region.  I really enjoy communicating practical knowledge with other gardeners, growers, and program managers, and can't wait to learn from all of your experiences.

Picture of Donna Alese Cooke
Re: Getting started in Cattaraugus County
by Donna Alese Cooke - Friday, July 17, 2020, 7:15 AM

Hi Jesse,

Welcome! What wonderful pictures, thank you for sharing. I think we can learn a few things from you too, now that people are growing food more than ever. What are some programs you offer in your Farm to School education?

Picture of Ashley Miller Helmholdt
Re: Getting started in Cattaraugus County
by Ashley Miller Helmholdt - Monday, July 20, 2020, 4:22 PM

Thanks for sharing.  I loved working with farmers markets as well!  I spent several years as a farmers market manager, and got a lot from the experience - I'm happy these places are still open and thriving.  Thanks for joining this work, and sharing your knowledge with the group - you come with a great background we could all learn from.  I'd love to know more about the projects you are considering locally, and perhaps get you connected with other coordinators in nearby counties, who you likely know, like Sharon Bachman in Erie County.  Kathleen Scanlon is representing her in this course, and could tell you more about how their program has gone over the years.

Best,

Ashley