Welcome and Introductory Discussion Forum

Welcome!

Picture of Donna Alese Cooke
Welcome!
by Donna Alese Cooke - Friday, July 17, 2020, 8:20 AM

Greetings!

Nice to meet you and reconnect with friends this week! Here's my story...I have been with CCE/Cornell University for a few years, starting off as a Master Gardener (class 1997, Orange Co.). I've been in Horticulture all my life, and have degrees in Horticulture and Education. I am more of an educator by nature and by no means a content expert in horticulture- we have so many state-wide and locally to learn from and rely on. These days I am putting my MS in Instructional Technology to good use, here with Cornell as well as developing online courses for the Native Plant Trust (formally the New England Wild Flower Society).

Over the years, I was hired on staff as Community Horticulture Educator in Orange, Rockland and Suffolk, managing the MGV programs (different timeframes). I am originally from LI, but moved to the Hudson Valley where we raised our family. We moved around bit since working in Rockland...up to Saratoga for my husband's work, then back to LI to care for my elderly parents, where I was lucky to work for Suffolk CCE while also helping Lori Brewer and Fiona on the CGBLL development project. We are now back in Saratoga, and am grateful to continue my work remotely with Ashely and Marcia Eames-Sheavly at Cornell GBL on this and other projects.

I do not have any garden photos of where we live now as we are in a townhome.  But these are the gardens I am most proud of from our home in Orange County. All this hard work was inspired by my MGV training!