IPM Discussion Forum: How do you Handle Pests in Your Garden?

Plant Pests

Picture of Frances Traver
Plant Pests
by Frances Traver - Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 12:16 PM

Plant pests may not only include insects and animals but also plant diseases. Also included should be weed and cultural considerations such as overwatering ir too much shade. A plant Pest then is something or someone who decreasing it chance to grow and reproduce successfully.

As I have had a vegetable  garden for over 40 years , I think I have seen most of the pests to some degree in the past. However it seems over the last 5 years they have been worsening. It may be due to climate change or just more invasive insects etc. 

In the past we have relied on chemicals mostly to control some of these pests. . We also have always rated the plants ignorer to decrease soil-borne diseases. I have always keep up the the weeding so weeds are never really a problem. I think our best management has been to maintain healthy  plants as much as possible and obtain disease resistant varieties when able. 

The past 5 years or so the vertebrate Pests have been overwhelming for us. Woodchucks also live ib our property. We did fence in garden to keep them out with mixed effectiveness. Rabbits also are keep out with the fence. However the fence has not keep the chipmunks or squirrels out. 

So I am excited to try some of the IPM suggestions for  next year. I will consider mulch as one management method. I will focus and melons , as I have has limited success with them in past years.

Fran Traver