Discussion Forum: Garden Planning Activity

Online Garden Planners

Picture of Ashley Miller Helmholdt
Online Garden Planners
by Ashley Miller Helmholdt - Monday, August 3, 2020, 2:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Something that came up in the discussion in our first pilot of this course with MGV this spring was the use of free "garden planners" of which there are a lot out there.  This might not be a bad tool for virtual instruction as well, given many are well equipped with some of the site assessment considerations you all brought up in the Fundamentals Module  on "Right Plant, Right Place"  (sunlight, hardiness zone, fertilizer needs, etc.) - take a look at these and maybe sketch out a fall vegetable garden that takes these elements into consideration:

https://www.finegardening.com/article/totally-free-online-vegetable-garden-planners

Of course, good old graph paper works fine:)

Best,

Ashley

Picture of Kathleen Scanlon
Re: Online Garden Planners
by Kathleen Scanlon - Saturday, August 8, 2020, 9:56 PM

This Spring I decided to plan a new bed for my yard and I realized that I needed graph paper in order to do an organized job but unfortunately I never thought to look for an online garden planner. Instead I drew up some of my own graph paper, decided on a scale to use and went to a grower's website and began to plan my new bed. It looks pretty good but what pops up next Spring will be the true test.

Picture of Becca Ligrani
by Becca Ligrani - Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 4:06 PM

As someone who enjoys visually appealing designs (who doesn't?) but is not particularly gifted when it comes to creating them, I like the idea of the online planners where I can drop icons into my space and rearrange without having to use an eraser. Using cut up post-its on the graph paper works well for having to rearrange items, but it isn't as pretty. I have never had a tried and true garden plan. I have the planning concepts in my head, and then I just put things in the ground. I also haven't been gardening for that many years, so maybe fate will eventually catch up with me. I could see sharing a screen and going through a few virtual garden planners to give folks an idea of how they work and what we mean by a garden plan--especially for those like me who haven't personally used them before! 

Picture of Ashley Miller Helmholdt
by Ashley Miller Helmholdt - Monday, August 17, 2020, 9:35 AM

I think what I like about garden planning is that it gives some room for creativity in your design with the constraints of the plants in mind.  I always wanted to be a landscape architect, but never did, so it appeals to that side of me:)  Anyway, the online garden planners let you be a small scale landscape architect - I wish that I could find one that integrated small trees, shrubs, etc. into a larger design...