Welcome and Introductory Discussion Forum

Introduction

Picture of Ashley Miller Helmholdt
Re: Introduction
by Ashley Miller Helmholdt - Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 9:56 AM

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for sharing - Donna has a lot of experience working with MGV and organizing them.  My take is that changing expectations for new MGV based on what you learn in this course, and focusing on action projects that help your county achieve goals for your program and community, might help to refocus efforts around community service.  It is difficult to change when there's so much resistance.  If you'd like me to ever present to your group about ways you can engage different populations in your community and meet people where they are (at community gardens, neighborhood centers, through our Seed to Supper program) I'd love to help in that way.  I do think this is one of our challenges, really reaching out to a larger sector - reminding volunteers that is part of the mission and vision of the MGV program and CCE might help them see how this needs to be front and center in the future.  Also, perhaps reminding them that, especially right now, there is a big need for healthy food access for families, and there are real opportunities to educate the public and perhaps even support community gardening efforts with their knowledge base.  This might give them a sense of purpose for their work in the recovery effort.

Those are just a few thoughts - I'm sure there will be a healthy discussion about this same topic as we go through the course!

Ashley