What do we want as tools?
Appropriate Technology is a phrase used to describe the ethical development and use of tools and systems for humans that have some of the following qualities:
- Easy to understand
- Flexible manufacture, use, maintenance, repair
- Locally available materials for manufacture and repair
- Culturally acceptable
- Scalable and expandable
- Low in capital costs
- Easily biodegradable and/or infinitely recyclable
- Use human, animal waste, or renewable power.
- Supports collective labor and conviviality
View at least three of the videos below and consider the following questions as you watch. Discuss further with classmates via this weeks Forum: App Tech. You are welcome to find and substitute related online videos and discuss using the same questions. Please include a link to the video in your discussion.
- What criteria above does this technology meet?
- What are innovative or unique functions of this technology?
- What limitations exist on this technology?
- Any variations/improvements you can make to the design?
Some examples of appropriate technologies include:
- Solar and thermal cookers:
- Solar dehydrators:
- Rocket stoves:
- Bike-powered equipment:
- Compost Heating: