Discussion: What do "Earth Day" + Community Action mean?

Picture of Celeste Carmichael
Discussion: What do "Earth Day" + Community Action mean?
by Celeste Carmichael - Sunday, March 28, 2021, 4:20 PM

Earth Day is described as the largest annual Community Action Event that happens in the world for the environment...but what is community action?  What experiences have you had with Earth Day?   Talk to a few other people in your family or neighborhood...what experiences have they had?   There is no right or wrong idea here...the intent of the question is to have an informal discussion with others to get us thinking and interested.  Be as creative as you are inspired to be with your response (picture, video, words...all welcome :))

Share your response to this question in the discussion, and comment on the response from at least one other family.  Note that you must be signed in to Moodle to respond and to see comments.

Picture of Jordan Proctor
Re: Discussion: What do "Earth Day" + Community Action mean?
by Jordan Proctor - Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 1:03 PM

Community action to my family is taking part in your community to make it a better place. Giving back to your community and volunteering to help out to improve the environment. Earth Day for me and others in my life has been a time of reflection. A time to remember all of the gorgeous spots we have visited on this planet and just a time to reflect on how us individuals can keep these spots natural showing its beauty for generations to come. A great thing right around Earth Day that my school has done and others in the community is a trash walk and I love that idea. I think it's a great way to give back to mother nature and impact the community as well. 

by Celeste Carmichael - Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:35 PM

Great idea.  It is so good to reflect on what a wonderful world we live in!  Have you organized the trash walk?

by Jordan Proctor - Monday, April 19, 2021, 7:43 PM

I have not yet. Our green team organizes one though!

Picture of Jody Marnell
by Jody Marnell - Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:54 PM

Ohhh! 

Picture of Jody Marnell
by Jody Marnell - Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:58 PM

My family picks up bottles and cans from spring to summer!

Picture of Jesica Bird
by Jesica Bird - Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 1:52 PM

To my family and I, community action is volunteering in your community whether it mean, beach cleanups, planting trees, can drives, soup kitchens etc. I also think its so important to educate others on how they can make a difference in the environment and their community. 

by Celeste Carmichael - Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:37 PM

I agree Jesica!  And there is something special about taking these actions with others.  I like the time spent together making the world a better place.

by Jordan Proctor - Monday, April 19, 2021, 7:44 PM

I completely agree! It's great to make a difference.

Picture of Abigail Marnell
Our Pine Tree
by Abigail Marnell - Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:48 PM

A couple of years ago my family and i planted a pine tree in our back yard for Earth Day.  It's doing really well and has grown a lot since we planted it.  :)
Picture of Jody Marnell
Re: Our Pine Tree
by Jody Marnell - Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:53 PM

I have seen the pine tree it is very big. I hope it is still up and healthy!

Picture of Danielle Main
Re: Our Pine Tree
by Danielle Main - Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 9:40 PM

What a great idea! Love that you can continue to go back and see the progress of the tree and have made lasting memories and impacts.

Picture of Jody Marnell
by Jody Marnell - Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:51 PM

Me and my family pick up bottles and cans from spring to summer!

Picture of Abigail Marnell
by Abigail Marnell - Thursday, April 15, 2021, 6:56 PM

That's a good thing to do :)

Picture of Danielle Main
by Danielle Main - Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 9:39 PM

For our family, Earth Day is a wonderful chance to discuss and focus on things that impact our planet. To an extent, every day is earth day since we are blessed with one child who always speaks up and advocates for adjusting our habits to be more friendly to our planet. From year to year our community action changes as we choose something either as a family unit or a community action event to participate in.

Sometimes we plant a tree, spend time cleaning up an area, or even take a hike and find ways to clean up debris that has washed down the ravines in spring storms. This year we decided to try our hands at recycling paper and including wildflower seeds. We will send cards to our friends and encourage them to plant our messages to nourish our pollinators and beautify areas that do not need frequent mowing.

by Celeste Carmichael - Sunday, May 2, 2021, 1:50 PM

What a great idea Danielle - and you'll end up making someone's day with a card and an opportunity to plant!  I might have to steal that idea :) - thank you for sharing.