Discussion: Who has houseplants?

Picture of Celeste Carmichael
Discussion: Who has houseplants?
by Celeste Carmichael - Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 7:24 PM

Step one for this activity is to think about where you have seen houseplants - do you have houseplants in your house?  How about neighbors, friends, and family?  Talk with your family about what you can recall...and who really loves taking care of their plants?  Who doesn't?  What kind of plants do they have?  Do you have any funny stories about houseplants?

Share a little of your response to this question below, and comment on the response from at least one other person.

Picture of Samantha Legg
Re: Discussion: Who has houseplants?
by Samantha Legg - Friday, February 5, 2021, 1:50 PM

One of our pod's house does not have any houseplants, but in one of our tutor's homes, she has several. She has a snake plant and a pothos plant as well as some herbs such as mint and basil! In our group, two of us likes to take care of plants and to watch the process of it growing but the other two do not like to take care of plants so much (I, Sammy, am known to kill plants a lot on accident! I even once killed a plant in under a week when I was asked to take care of it while a friend was away! She forgave me, though!)

Picture of Nancy Searles
by Nancy Searles - Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 3:53 PM

We got Christmas cactus from my friend. Our twigs are leafing out (but no blossoms yet)
Picture of Ruth/Ray Schussler
by Ruth/Ray Schussler - Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 8:51 AM

Our families have always had house plants! Everyone has a piece of great-grandmother's Christmas cactus passed down to the next generation. So, yes, we do know how to propagate some plants.

Having plants inside helps the air quality. William, James, and Eleanor like the flowers. Their mother has been able to winter Gerber daisies,  so they have bright flowers on these snowy days.

Picture of Jessica Conklin
by Jessica Conklin - Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 6:30 AM

We have a few Jade plants and a spider plant.

Picture of Jessica Conklin
by Jessica Conklin - Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 6:31 AM

Here is a baby Jade!

Picture of Danielle Main
by Danielle Main - Friday, February 19, 2021, 1:27 PM

We have our jade, wandering Jew, and aloe in water and in dirt. Can't wait to see them root!

Picture of Danielle Main
by Danielle Main - Friday, February 19, 2021, 1:44 PM

We have our jade, corn plant, and aloe in water and in dirt. Can't wait to see them root!

We are going to try again with our piggy-back geranium to see if we can propagate that as well.

This has been a super fun experience for the entire family. We love getting to watch progress on these bulbs, blossoms, and roots. Thank you so much for all the fun memories being made as we learn together.

At first our 8-year-old thought on seeing the sprouts from the bulbs that a bean was growing from them. (It did look similar, at first.) He has since changed his guess that this pod must be a blossom forming. It's delightful to watch them grow and to gain better understanding of how to care for living things as we work together.

Danielle