IPM Discussion Forum: How do you Handle Pests in Your Garden?

Handling pests in the garden

Picture of Francesca Deierlein
Handling pests in the garden
by Francesca Deierlein - Wednesday, September 21, 2022, 2:39 PM

The most annoying of pests in my garden are rabbits, a woodchuck and squirrels.  I noticed that the squirrels became more bold and would climb over the 8 foot fence (fortress) my husband built and I found this to be very difficult to remediate.  I purchased Irish Spring and tossed the soap bricks around the garden fence.    I had a neighbor's dog urinate in various areas near my garden fencing because I had a woodchuck and rabbits.  I had high  hopes the scent would repel the rodents.  The woodchuck also climbed under part of the fence.   We saw how he was entering the garden which was underneath the screened doorway.    When we realized where he had entered my husband reinforced the fencing by burying additional screening near the entrance.  We also buttressed the door way  with wood and heavy rocks.  This is a bit inconvenient for me to access the garden but I refuse to share my hard work with the stinking rodents.  

I have tomato plants in several containers on my patio and around the yard, because I ran out of room inside the fenced in garden.   I draped onion scapes around the tomato cages and this helped to repel the rodents.     I continue to find remnants of half eaten tomatoes, inside the garden, however, not as many as were taken earlier in the season. 

I honestly do not know if my efforts worked,  however, I have not seen the woodchuck for a while.  I do not know if this means he smelled the neighbor's dog, or if he found a better buffet elsewhere.    As for the rabbits, I wait for the circle of life.   The coy dogs will be back ....   

Picture of Holly Wise
Re: Handling pests in the garden
by Holly Wise - Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 12:55 PM

You have made good efforts to deter wild animals in your garden.  To keep squirrels out I had to put bird netting over some of my plants in the past and it helped.