Discussion Forum on Systems Thinking

Systems

Picture of Jessica Maureen Hinsdill
Systems
by Jessica Maureen Hinsdill - Thursday, July 8, 2021, 9:11 AM

Nothing defines a complete system to me quite like an undisturbed natural ecosystem. The forest around me, the wetlands and other biomes or niches require no input from me to survive. Every plant and animal already has it's place and has an intrinsic knowledge for survival. 

In my garden, I am working on permaculture and perennial edible designs where each part of the system supports the other and mimicking nature in placing plants in their special niche, such as shade or at the edge of the forest or a wetland. My woodland medicinals are such, in the woods, where I've placed the seeds and I just sit and wait for them to grow and thrive.  The shiitake mushroom logs are under the tree canopy where I have to do no humidity or temperature control, just have patience. My vegetable garden requires the most imput from me, but I am finding that interplanting herbs for pest control and companion planting has been successful. I have convinced my fiance not to till and at the end of the growing season I leave the old veg to rot over winter to supply it's own compost while also supplementing from our compost pile. This year I would like to do a fall cover crop to keep some active roots in the ground. 

My goal in all my gardens is to mimic nature where there is already a complete system, requiring the least amount of effort from me.