Welcome! Click Here to Introduce Yourself

Introduction

Picture of Meredith Leland
Introduction
by Meredith Leland - Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 10:09 PM

Hi all -- I'm Garden Master trainee Meredith Leland.  I  grew up in the hills outside of Hamilton, NY in a family of compulsive gardeners.   When I was a child, nobody ever had to prepare food for me in the summer because I just foraged in the gardens, orchards and fields.  I was also notorious for stealing fruit from other people's backyards.  Now I live in Waterville, which is a village that takes gardening very seriously.  I joined the local garden club a few years back; however, I admit my attendance record hasn't been stellar because I work full-time as a teacher.  Whenever I have participated, I've had a great time.  I've also been gradually replacing parts of my front and back lawn and overgrown areas around my house with vegetable and flower gardens over the years.  My neighbors and I have been working together to beautify the bank of the creek that runs behind our houses, and I'd like to do some nice plantings similar to what other neighbors have done further down the street.

I teach ABE/HSE, ESL and Hospitality at the Utica BOCES Access Site, and have always tried to incorporate flowers and gardening in my lesson plans.  I know there have been attempts at community gardens in Utica, but don't know of any nearby in East Utica where my students could work.  I'd like to learn how I can help start one for my students.

Picture of Jessica Maureen Hinsdill
Re: Introduction
by Jessica Maureen Hinsdill - Thursday, June 3, 2021, 2:40 PM

Hi, Meredith! I love that you use garden lesson for your students. We seem to share a common interest in community gardens! Will be nice to share ideas and work together in the future! 

Jessica 

Picture of Teresa Evans
Re: Introduction
by Teresa Evans - Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 5:10 PM

Hi Meredith:

How wonderful to grow up with the love of gardening!  And HOORAY for sharing that passion with your students!