Participant Forum: Bubble Map Sharing

Michael Pergamit's Bubble Maps

A man and his duck
Michael Pergamit's Bubble Maps
by Michael Pergamit - Friday, April 16, 2021, 12:10 AM

Let's start off with my water bubble map.  This is a quick overview of water features on the site including water sinks, irrigation drip line, and water catchment systems present and proposed.

A man and his duck
Re: Michael Pergamit's Bubble Maps
by Michael Pergamit - Friday, April 16, 2021, 12:15 AM

This map highlights our favorite areas of the site.  All of our gathering areas and sit spots are surrounded by pleasant features including butterfly gardens, sunrise views, and fragrant flowers

A man and his duck
by Michael Pergamit - Friday, April 16, 2021, 1:36 AM

This nuisance map is a helpful resource to identify the things that aren't so great about the site. It's important to be open and transparent about the things that are least desirable about a site. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, so I want to show future residents the nuisances they should expect living here.

A man and his duck
by Michael Pergamit - Saturday, April 17, 2021, 12:17 AM

My movement of people bubble map outlines all of the foot paths and walkways throughout the site.  In both yards, swales act as water retention systems that double as pathways.  To ensure it's easy to work the land, all of our pathways are wide enough to accommodate a wheelbarrow.  Zones 1-4 are accessible via foot paths.

A man and his duck
by Michael Pergamit - Sunday, April 18, 2021, 8:21 PM

This is a map for both animals and wildlife on the site.  In addition to 3 pet ducks and 3 cats, we also have a number of songbirds, hummingbirds, and insects that live and rely on the site.  Our ducks provide us with eggs, pest control, weed abatement, and premium fertilizer.  We plant crops the ducks enjoy eating and have support structures including a coop and 2 ponds  Aside from entertainment and companionship, the cats provide protection for the ducks, crops, and the site as a whole from other predators and destructive pests.  In order to attract and retain the cats, there are a variety of feline-friendly plants available throughout the yard.  We've also created a dedicated area secluded from the ducks where the cats can congregate.  We call this area the "catwalk", as it's packed full of potent cat-friendly plants including catnip, mint, lemon balm, lemongrass and wheatgrass.

Our wildlife includes seasonal influxes of songbirds, hummingbirds, fritillary butterflies, praying mantises, ladybugs, and honey bees.  Each year, their numbers grow larger!  Luckily, neighbors have commented on how much they've enjoyed the "swarms" of butterflies and choruses of songbirds from our yards.

A man and his duck
by Michael Pergamit - Sunday, April 18, 2021, 8:33 PM

There's not a great deal of materials needed to be moved around.  That said, I've ensured that every pathway is wide enough to get a wheelbarrow through with ease.  Harvesting usually happens incrementally, as needed unless we're canning or juicing large volumes of fruit.  Pathways can more than accommodate a person with a basket or bag full of fruit.  When materials like wood chips, plants, lumber, and rock get delivered, we use the driveway as a staging area.

A man and his duck
by Michael Pergamit - Sunday, April 18, 2021, 11:27 PM

There are multiple polycultures in place on the site.  This includes a berry patch, citrus grove, and stone fruit polyculture.  The stone fruit polyculture incorporates peaches, plums, and nectarines partnered with nitrogen fixers, swales, ducks, and ground covers.

A man and his duck
by Michael Pergamit - Monday, April 19, 2021, 12:27 AM

It's important to underside some of the least attractive things about a site.  For this, I have the Neighborhood Conflict bubble map.

A man and his duck
by Michael Pergamit - Monday, April 19, 2021, 1:05 AM

This map highlights the permaculture systems and features that are part of the design.  

A man and his duck
by Michael Pergamit - Monday, April 19, 2021, 1:08 AM

Aaaaaaaand I'm out of tracing paper!  This is the last bubble map, and it's the last I can do until my new roll shows up.

Last but not least, here's my food production map.

Picture of Debbie Sexsmith
by Debbie Sexsmith - Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 9:45 PM

I like this one alot.  I always forget to think about a staging area.  I made the mistake recently of telling some tree cutters that I would take whatever woodchips they had.  LOL 80 tons later, I have woodchips piled everywhere.