Participant Forum: Strategies for Success

Remembering to keep it simple

Picture of Christopher Schmitt
Remembering to keep it simple
by Christopher Schmitt - Monday, March 22, 2021, 11:44 AM

Last week I got laid off from my job. I have two weeks left of pay and two weeks to figure out how to make money for my family. The ethic of Fair Share certainly is struggling to find its place in corporate America…even in the environmental industry, in which I have worked for the past 30 years! The overwhelming nature of life, let alone a design site, I think, can still be a great opportunity to learn that simple, basic needs are always a great starting point. For me, everything starts with my family, whether it’s dealing with work or dealing with land. When I keep things simple, I keep things successful. When I keep things simple, barriers drift away. If I keep things simple, patterns emerge for progress and realization. Just one more note, a funny little story. My daughter was really upset because she had a mouse in her room of our old farmhouse. When we sat down together and looked at the simplicity of what the mouse was trying to tell us, we remember that mice are all about the small details of survival. The mouse reminds us that all our answers for today, whether it’s about jobs or designs, lie in the small, simple existence of just being in today. Not to get too philosophical… :)

Picture of Deb Winther
Re: Remembering to keep it simple
by Deb Winther - Monday, March 22, 2021, 12:19 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that, Chris! I hope everything works out for you. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Deb 

Peggy Berk
by Peggy Berk - Monday, March 22, 2021, 8:14 PM

Hi Chris,

So sorry to hear about your job but perhaps it might open some new doors for you, avenues that you haven’t considered before because you were too busy working.

The owners of the Permaculture  farm I went to visit for one of our assignments during the first course was in much the same position when he purchased his farm.

To see themselves through until they figured out how to develop a cash crop that would bring them income over the longer-term, they decided to plant a market garden and sell through local farmers markets. Also using  an inexpensive  local ad and word of mouth  they picked up enough customers to make a profitable CSA business.

You have the farm and the knowledge ... and now you have the time ...and it’s the right time of the year... Seems to me the stars are pretty well aligned to see you through until you figure out where your next job is... or isn’t..

Don’t mean to intrude but I heard a similar  story not long ago and it has a very happy ending!

Peggy

Picture of Melinda Kelley
by Melinda Kelley - Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 1:49 PM

Hi Chris,

I am really sorry to hear that.  I hope that someday soon that people wake up to what's happening environmentally, and that the industry will pick back up.  I agree with Peggy that you have great starting blocks for a new self-employment situation; you have the training AND you have the property.  Not many people would have both at their disposal!  I know from personal experience that there are always challenges in re-inventing oneself, but as Peggy said, there are also happy endings.

Good luck as you plan your next steps :-)

Melinda

Picture of Christopher Schmitt
by Christopher Schmitt - Friday, March 26, 2021, 2:48 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words--it really is helpful being reminded that all is not lost just because a salary job ends; it is good to be reminded of all the resources I have here!

Thanks, Chris and family