Forum: Polyculture & Niche Analysis Questions & Comments (optional)

Niche Analysis - Crimson Clover

Picture of Pamela Sonn
Niche Analysis - Crimson Clover
by Pamela Sonn - Saturday, December 5, 2020, 2:43 PM

This past year we decided to leave two spots in our yard as 'meadows'.  This was to provide habitat for ground nesting birds, encourage pollinators, and save the environment and our pocketbook on not mowing with a gas powered mower.  One is a square and the other a rectangle  (one is 20x20 and the other is about 10 x 40 feet).  With neat edges (mowed) they would look intentional and tidy.  This pretty much turned out as expected.  We just let what was there grow to see what happened.  The meadows stayed pretty green through the drought portions of the summer - while the rest of the lawn went into a 'shredded wheat' look at the driest.  There was pretty impressive plant diversity but not as many flowering species as I'd hoped.  What was there was either yellow or white (and NO buttercups!). I'd like to help the meadows along - we did have many native bee species using them and some nesting ground sparrows, plus I'm pretty sure that the mice and voles that were in our house foundation went out there to the meadows!  One of the videos mentioned Crimson/ Italian Clover and that sounded interesting and appealing for this project.