Forum: Polyculture & Niche Analysis Questions & Comments (optional)

Echinacea Purpurea Niche Analysis

Peggy Berk
Echinacea Purpurea Niche Analysis
by Peggy Berk - Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 9:08 PM

I have a lot of serially blooming perennials in my garden,  but most of the blooms are very short lived as is usually the case with perennials.  So I decided to investigate echinacea purpurea (commonly called Purple Coneflower) because it blooms from June through September in my zone with little maintenance - no deadheading required.  It is a serious "attractor",   a favorite of butterflies and other pollinators and beneficial insects.

I have a pair of 4 year old apple trees that haven't produced much and I am planning to create an apple tree fruit guild to provide a more supportive environment.  Echinecea parpurea looks like it would be a good choice, delivering pollinators to the scene all season and also delivering some wonderful medicinal benefits to us.

I really enjoyed this activity,  so much so that I plan to work on developing this kind of documentation for all of the plants in my garden, as my time permits.  I think one could end up with quite a nice library!

Picture of Debbie Sexsmith
Re: Echinacea Purpurea Niche Analysis
by Debbie Sexsmith - Friday, December 4, 2020, 11:24 PM

I totally agree about the library :) I have a recipe case with cards that have descriptions and instructions for a lot of vegetables. In the spring when we have student helpers I put the seed packages in order with the general instruction card in front.  They love having all of it handy like that, and so do I.  Love echinacea, I forgot about all the medicinal qualities it has.