Forum: Polyculture & Niche Analysis Questions & Comments (optional)

House Wrens & Blueberries

Picture of Debbie Sexsmith
Re: House Wrens & Blueberries
by Debbie Sexsmith - Friday, December 4, 2020, 11:18 PM

Yes I agree that you will need nets :)  We have shared our elderberries and blueberries with our bird friends for quite some time. I think they have had their fair share and its time we get some to our market or at least into jam.  Interestingly, we have a couple of bushes near the barn and they haven't found them.  The 500 bushes in the main crop garden are open game and they know of their existence.  I was thinking of trying to add other trees or plants to camouflage them but I think netting but they appear to like the plants I chose too. This way I can release the chickens in there for a spell and put some of our crops that are browsed by the deer in there too.  They inhaled our chard, beans and sweet potatoes this past year. 

We have lots of barn swallows and I they are amazing at keeping flies and mosquitos and things that bother the livestock and us in check. However, they aren't so great to have in our market area and nesting over food.  They have been coming for over a hundred years, so I need to figure out a way to coexist and still meet the increasing regulations of biosecurity.  They consider all birds pests. Thankfully, they are still just guidelines.