Participant Forum: App Tech

A real novice with this

Picture of Michelle Cohen
A real novice with this
by Michelle Cohen - Sunday, November 22, 2020, 3:54 PM

I have no real experience with Appropriate Technology. At least I don't think I do.

It was amazing to see all the ways people are able to reduce their reliance on fossil fuels and harness passive energy.  I was particularly interested in the accessible energy produced by a compost pile; harnessing that energy to provide heat and heated water is so elegant and functional.  I also thought the solar hydrator could be a simple technology applied even in the smallest of back yards.  The example of the rocket stove was intriguing, though it seemed to be a little more cumbersome to use.  

I see a lot of benefits to these alternative technologies.  They lessen the reliance on fossil fuels and promote self-reliance (which in this case is a good thing), and I really appreciate how they take energy that is readily available (sun, rotting organic matter) and are able to meet basic daily needs.  They seem to be affordable and require relatively little infrastructure (at least on a small scale) to implement.  I love that the technology is circular rather than linear. 

I could see building the dehydrator in my back yard.  It's small and simple enough that it seems doable, and we certainly would use it.  Unfortunately I don't have the space for a huge compost pile--but I love the idea of getting hot water from it!.  

Picture of Debbie Sexsmith
Re: A real novice with this
by Debbie Sexsmith - Monday, November 23, 2020, 4:12 PM

I love the idea of hot water too.  We have a large compost pile to work with and really hope to figure out a way to do it.  One of the challenges with a large pile is being able to move it around without big machinery.