Participant Forum: Permaculture?

Permaculture and Taoism

Picture of Sandy Zhang
Permaculture and Taoism
by Sandy Zhang - Monday, November 9, 2020, 4:45 AM

Recently I’ve been reading Zhuang Zi, a master piece written 4000 years ago by the founding philosopher of Taoism in ancient China. I found the guiding principle of Taoism is highly related to the key concept of permaculture. 

First of all, Taoism emphasize Ziran (nature) not only the central value in Taoism, but also the "primordial state" of all things created. Ziran is when universe works harmoniously according to its own way, and the goal of Taoism is to find and to return to that perfect stage. I found Ziran also Permacuture’s fundamental pursue – to learn from the nature, to return to the nature, and to give back to the nature. 

Secondly, Taoism cited Wuwei (nonaction, or action without intent) the leading ethical concept. It stated that people should not pose their will against the nature in a manner that is out of rhythm with the cycles of change. Instead, by following the natural rhythm, people can achieve goals by nonaction. This philosophy is aligned with permaculture’s key principle. I was impressed by how the Global Gardeners were able to restore the order of nature in the seemingly impossible places by simply put nature back to action and minimize the human disruption.  

Lastly, Taosim’s “three basic virtues” -  compassion, frugality and  humility – reflect  permaculture’s three ethics -Earth Care, People Care and Fair Share. Permaculture goes beyond an agriculture methodology. It represents an opportunity to allow us to rethink about our education, community, and lifestyle.

Picture of Pamela Sonn
Re: Permaculture and Taoism
by Pamela Sonn - Monday, November 9, 2020, 9:13 AM

Sandy -

Thanks so much for sharing this connection!  I appreciate the Taoist philosophy to nature and humans in nature. I'm going to look up Zhuang Zi...

- Pamela

Picture of Sandy Zhang
by Sandy Zhang - Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 2:07 AM

Thank you Pamela, 

Thank you for your kind words, enjoy Zhuang Zi! 

Sandy 

Picture of Christopher Schmitt
by Christopher Schmitt - Monday, November 9, 2020, 12:10 PM

Hi Sandy,

Thank you so much for this post--we appreciate it so much! It is a really great reminder that these principles have been around for thousands of years; my family and I find great comfort in being reminded of these philosophies!

P.S. Here is a picture of our kitty, Eva, demonstrating the harmonious living of simple joys!

Chris and family

Picture of Sandy Zhang
by Sandy Zhang - Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 2:28 AM

Hi Chris and family, 

Thank you for your kind words and sharing the picture of Eva, she is truly the master of good living! 

Yes you are right. Although I was born and grew up in China, I didn't understand my own culture heritage when I was younger. Now I more and more like to read these ancient literatures and to appreciate the ancient wisdoms.  However Master Zhuang Zi also said, don't learn from literatures, go learn from nature and living creatures, for example, our Master Eva :) 

Enjoy the fall!

Sandy 

Picture of Christopher Schmitt
by Christopher Schmitt - Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 4:08 PM

:) We are all smiling here!