Participant Forum: Permaculture?

Accessibility

Picture of Kathy Partridge
Accessibility
by Kathy Partridge - Thursday, October 29, 2020, 8:50 PM

My reaction to the materials this week is I am reminded once again that the logic of permaculture is unassailable. Because of the framework that it's built around (the ethics and principles), the means for saving ourselves - human civilization and the natural world without which we cannot survive - is within the grasp of each and every one of us. Once we come to really understand what permaculture is (and what it's not), we can each roll up our sleeves and get to work. We don't need anyone's permission, and there are no gatekeepers to "let us in". I think this was the true genius of Bill Mollison and David Holmgren; permaculture's accessibility.

I have to admit that all this appeals to my subversive side, as well. 

For me, the defining characteristic of permaculture is that framework of ethics and principles. Whenever I start to get lost in the weeds of designing in too much detail too soon, the ethics and principles are there to rein me in. I find it very easy to get lost in my own "cleverness" but my bright ideas don't always serve a purpose other than "Oooh, that would be cool!". Reminding myself that it's about appropriate technology, small and slow solutions, catching and storing energy, obtaining a yield and more are enough to bring me back to reality.