Participant Forum: Permaculture?

Permaculture Reactions Week 1

Picture of Kathleen Siegel
Permaculture Reactions Week 1
by Kathleen Siegel - Thursday, October 29, 2020, 2:07 PM

I found this weeks materials very informative, helping me to dive deeper into permaculture. It reminds me of the Hippocratic Oath but in relation to the land, "I will do no harm or injustice." It is interesting to learn more about how the system of permaculture is structured and then think about that system when going out into nature, the amount of thought and observation that has been put into creating this concept is admirable. 

I see permaculture as something that is very similar to the realm of holistic medicine in that you must really take consideration for the whole picture and what the goals may be before you start designing a plan. As with holistic medicine, you must know the nuances of the space you are working with, the history, current state, challenge areas, strengths and how it interacts with the world and the world with it. You must also keep in mind what the goals of the space will be and how to optimize its health as quickly and efficiently as possible. I really like the idea of simplicity of the system as well, the example of the cup of tea really was terrific! I really look forward to the challenge of considering all of these aspects and then formulating them into an actual design!

What I am most excited about is learning how I can integrate this concept into the workings of my own small urban space. I recognize that I may not be able to create quite as many intermingled working elements but I am up for the challenge of determining what will be most functional for the space that I have. I think that this concept could be applied within the urban space to improve overall health and wellness of humans and the environment. Starting with my own small space, I hope to gain insight and experience into the creative ways in which the urban world can look and be a little more natural and make permaculture more prominent within our culture. 

Picture of Melinda Kelley
Re: Permaculture Reactions Week 1
by Melinda Kelley - Thursday, October 29, 2020, 4:05 PM

Hi Kathleen - I think we may be working with comparable (small) space challenges.  I also enjoyed the tea comparison.

I look forward to comparing notes with you!

Melinda

Picture of Kathleen Siegel
by Kathleen Siegel - Thursday, November 5, 2020, 2:16 PM

Hi Melinda! 

Great! I am really looking forward to coming up with some creative solutions! I have a small veggie garden and wild flower patch on my property right now and its been amazing and inspiring to see the life grow on the property every year!

Picture of Debbie Sexsmith
by Debbie Sexsmith - Thursday, October 29, 2020, 7:17 PM

Hi Kathleen

Your thoughts on holistic medicine made me think of how permaculture design is 'intentional'. We have had the pleasure of working with our local Native Friendship Centre for many year.  When elders visit and pick medicine they have shared how important it is to harvest it intentionally.