To Do & Due Dates
- This topic
Tutorial #1 - StoryMaps
April Tutorial is on ESRI's StoryMaps application. "Create inspiring, immersive stories by combining text, interactive maps, and other multimedia content. Publish and share your story with your organization or everyone around the world" ESRI.com.
Create your first StoryMap and share it with our NYS GG Lead Organization. Then go to the forum discussion section on StoryMaps and answer the questions and comment on at least two other youths responses.
Create a StoryMap about your 4-H experiences, your life, or how your time is spent during the current statewide shutdown. Be creative using pictures, videos, graphics and more! Once published, please share your link in the StoryMap Chat, for the group to see.
ArcGIS StoryMaps Getting Started Tutorial: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/cea22a609a1d4cccb8d54c650b595bc4
Create a basic Map: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/get-started/get-started-with-maps.htm
Tutorial #2 - ArcGIS Maps
Connect people, locations, and data using interactive maps. Work with smart, data-driven styles and intuitive analysis tools. Share your insights with the world or specific groups.
ACTIVITY - Complete
- ArcGIS 5x5 - This activity will give you some basics about maneuvering through ArcGIS before you begin a mapping tutorial.
READ - Complete
ACTIVITIES - Complete at least one.
Survey123 for ArcGIS is a simple and intuitive form-centric data gathering solution. Create, share and analyze surveys in just three easy steps.
Learn about Survey 123 - https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/survey123/overview
My First Survey: https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/f2093d08a49a4cb79d4093c1ba57a859
Get Started with Survey 123: https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/get-started-with-survey123/
Using Survey 123 in The Field Video Intro - https://youtu.be/oFPsOsGFbrI
Survey 123: Share a Survey and View Results Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdloF3fRPk4
NYS GG Lead Projects
The NYS Geospatial Team works on several different projects:
- Soil Painting - soilpainting.com - Utlizing soil to create paintings. This medium is used to help educate people about soil health and quality. It is a great way to utilize the "A" in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math), to connect people to soil science. This project is taught to 4-H Staff, volunteers and youth.
- Ditch Mapping - Utilizing Survey 123, to collect data regarding the quality of ditches within a particular area. The data can be shared with local Departments of Transportation (DOT's), and best practices can be shared with them about how to improve the quality of the ditches to protect the local streams and rivers from negative consequences of particular ways that ditches may be dug out.
- StoryMap Education - Training provided to 4-H Staff, volunteers and youth on how to utilize and create StoryMaps about their projects.
- County Fair Mapping Displays - Share your GG Lead projects with your county and the public during your county fair.
- State Fair GIS Activity Booth - GIS activities are showcased to the public, in the 4-H Youth Building, for the entirety of the fair. Junior Superintendents, Teen and Youth Leaders are recruited to help staff the booth. Youth receive a small daily premium for their time worked in the building. Youth can work one day, or stay in the youth dorms, with a same sex chaperone, and work several days. A Junior Superintendent is hired to work for a large portion of the fair, and is considered a NYS Fair employee, living in the youth dormitory during their employment. Junior Superintendents must be at least 16 years old, apply and interview for the position. Once hired they attend training sessions with the State 4-H Teen Coordinator.
- National GG Lead Team - Members apply to be accepted to the team and attend an International Users Conference, supported by ESRI, in July at San Diego, CA.
National GG Lead Meetings
National GG Lead Meetings are the first Monday of each month 8-9:30pm ish. An email will come the day before or day of the meeting, to the National GG Lead Team members. Facilitation responsibilities for these meetings is rotated amongst the youth, from several states, and is supported by the adult leaders. Meetings are done by zoom, just like our NYS GG Lead Team meetings.